Fortune is seeking a tech correspondent who will consistently break news and write compelling digital and magazine features and cover stories.
The ideal candidate is an experienced (5+ years), well-sourced self-starter excited by the opportunity to be part of a new team where they can have an immediate impact on our coverage and on the news cycle.
A solid grasp of business fundamentals is a must, as is a knack for developing sources and finding fresh, diverse perspectives that will enrich Fortune readers’ understanding of this critical industry at a critical time. You should be motivated by scoops and industry-leading reporting that gets the power players in tech talking.
If you’re fascinated by the way Big Tech and startups are rewriting the rules of business and reshaping society, and are motivated to play a key role in the space by getting inside the companies, understanding the leaders, and identifying the news and trends well beyond press releases, we’d love to talk to you.
· Report and write a mix of original stories, from quick-turnaround pieces and scoops to richly reported features and analysis; write occasional features for the magazine
· Bring and develop your own beat(s) to cover within the tech sector, and become the most authoritative reporter covering that space
· Generate story ideas through source relationships, shoe-leather reporting, and smart, public documents research
· Participate in Fortune’s live journalism at events and conferences
· Uphold Fortune’s standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness
The right candidate:
· Has 5+ years of experience covering business news as a beat reporter in the tech sector
· Is highly motivated to break news and “get the story,” and responds to reporting obstacles as energizing challenges to overcome rather than roadblocks
· Has a proven ability to develop sources inside and outside companies
· Has strong writing chops and is adept at writing in various story formats and styles
· Is an inherently curious and out-of-the box thinker, willing to learn on the go
· Has experience in online publishing, SEO, and social media
Our editorial team is based across time zones and international borders. This role is based in the US, and we encourage applicants on or in between the coasts to apply.
A few of Fortune’s perks and benefits:
· Flexible working hours and schedule: We expect our editorial staff to show up consistently and meet deadlines, but there’s no need to take PTO for a midday doctor’s appointment or to leave an hour early for a flight. Working in news can mean nontraditional hours, and we work with each staffer to make sure there’s appropriate comp time for special projects.
· 20 vacation days and 2 personal days on top of 11 company holidays and an honor-based sick leave policy
· Health, dental, and vision coverage (90% paid for individuals and families), along with flexible spending accounts where Fortune contributes to your HSA
· Generous parental leave
· Dependent care, commuter, and cell phone benefits
· 401-K plan
· A commitment to an open, inclusive and diverse work culture
Fortune is a global media organization dedicated to helping its readers, viewers, and attendees succeed big in business through unrivaled access and best-in-class storytelling.
Fortune drives the conversation about business. With a global perspective, the guiding wisdom of history, and an unflinching eye to the future, we report and reveal the stories that matter today—and that will matter even more tomorrow.
With the trusted power to convene and challenge those who are shaping industry, commerce and society around the world, Fortune lights the path for global leaders—and gives them the tools to make business better.
The policy of Fortune Media is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, caste, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Fortune Media affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity and values diversity and inclusion.