Deputy Features Editor
Fortune is seeking a talented and experienced Deputy Features Editor to manage features and enterprise stories for both our website and print magazine and ensure a steady output of high-quality, compelling, original journalism.
This editor will work closely with our Executive Editor, Features, on articles and editorial packages that in many ways are the hallmark of Fortune and represent the best of our journalism and storied brand. Recently, these have included stories on such subjects as a CEO who died by suicide, the TikTok economy, private equity in autism therapy, harassment and toxic workplace culture at a major video game developer, and how breast implants put women at risk.
Our ideal Deputy Features Editor thrives on working with talented writers, helping them develop urgent and insightful features, and helping them grow as reporters and writers. You’re adept at giving incisive yet empathetic feedback, at guiding ideas and stories from conception through completion, and at honing and polishing narrative structure.
· Work with staff and freelance writers to produce high-quality, must-read features for Fortune that speak to our audience of current and aspiring business leaders around the world
· Solicit pitches from and make story assignments to this pool of talent
· Edit multiple features for each print magazine (6 issues/year) in addition to regular digital features throughout the year
· Work with the Executive Editor, Features to expand Fortune’s pool of freelance writers, manage the freelance budget, and ensure freelance invoices are remitted in a timely way
· Collaborate with our Art and Photo, Audience, and Copy desks as well as with our vertical editors across the newsroom
Requirements and skills:
· Bachelor’s degree; higher degree preferred
· Editing experience in both print (magazine) and digital strongly preferred
· Keen news judgment
· Experience in features editing and writer/team management
· Experience working with freelance and staff writers alike
· An interest if not experience in business journalism
· A team player with strong organization and communication skills
· Ability to work independently and with initiative, as well as to take direction and collaborate
We know there's not a single perfect candidate for any job, so if you feel like you have the right skills to bring to this position but they differ from what we’ve listed above, we’d still love to hear from you.
Fortune’s headquarters is in NYC, but our editorial team is distributed across time zones and international borders. We encourage applicants between the coasts to apply.
A few of Fortune’s perks and benefits:
· Flexible working hours and schedule: We expect our editorial staff to show up consistently and meet deadlines, but there’s no need to take PTO for a midday doctor’s appointment or to leave an hour early for a flight. Working in news can mean nontraditional hours, and we work with each staffer to make sure there’s appropriate comp time for special projects
· 20 vacation days and 2 personal days on top of 11 company holidays and an honor-based sick leave policy
· Health, dental, and vision coverage (90% paid for individuals and families), along with flexible spending accounts where Fortune contributes to your HSA
· 401(k) plan
· Generous parental leave
· Dependent care, commuter, and cell phone benefits
· Tuition reimbursement program
· A commitment to an open, inclusive and diverse work culture