Fortune 500 Job Source
Arkansas Job Source
Add Your Resume
World's largest retailer.
Bentonville, AR 72716
CEO: Doug McMillon
Stock Symbol: WMT
Wal-Mart is the world's biggest retailer and also the largest employer with over 2.3 million full- and part-time workers worldwide -- including more than 1.4 million in the U.S. It operates Wal-Mart stores along with Sam's Club membership warehouses in the U.S. and a total of 28 countries.
Known for its low pricing and wide selection of goods, Wal-Mart has become the undisputed king of retailing. It is also a feared giant for its sheer size and pricing power.
The company has over 11,500 stores worldwide with 4,516 stores in the U.S., 647 Sam's Club stores and 6,290 Walmart International stores.
Wal-Mart Discount Stores average 107,000 square feet, employ an average of 225 associates and offer 120,000 items.
Wal-Mart Supercenters include supermarkets and average 185,000 square feet, employ 350 or more associates and offer 142,000 different items.
Each Sam's Club employs an average of 160 to 175 associates and offers approximately 5,500 different products. A membership fee ($45 annually) is required to shop at Sam's Club.
The company also operates Neighborhood Markets. First opened in 1998, there are over 150 Neighborhood Markets, averaging 42,000 square feet, feature a wide variety of products, including fresh produce, deli foods, fresh meat and dairy items, health and beauty aids, one-hour photo and traditional photo developing services, drive-through pharmacies, stationery and paper goods, pet supplies, and household chemicals. Neighborhood Markets employ 95 associates on average and offer about 29,000 items.
For fiscal 2015, Wal-Mart reported total revenues of $482.1 billion, a decrease of 0.7%. Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. saw a 3.6% increase in sales, international sales were down 9.4% and Sam's Club sales declined 2.1%.
The company announced it would raise salaries for most employees to $9.00 per hour in April and $10.00 per hour in Feb. 1, 2016. It also promised improved scheduling for workers so they can better plan their lives.
The company says that 75% of store management teams started as hourly associates, and they earn between $50,000 and $170,000 a year.
In January, Wal-Mart announced it would close 269 stores globally including 154 stores in the U.S. The company is closing 102 Walmart Express stores, which are small format stores that the company has been testing since 2011. A total of 16,000 workers will be affected by the store closures but can transfer to other locations. The company said it still plans to open 200 to 240 stores this year.
The first Wal-Mart store opened in tiny Rogers, AR in 1962 by brothers Sam and Bud Walton. By 1964, Wal-Mart had 24 stores with $12 million in sales and in 1969 Wal-Mart moved outside the state of Arkansas with stores in Sikeston, MO, and Claremore, OK.
The company was guided by founder Sam Walton's passion for customer satisfaction and "Every Day Low Prices."
In 1970, the company opened its first distribution center and corporate headquarters in Bentonville, AR, where it is located today. Wal-Mart also went public the same year.
In 1983, the first Sam's Club warehouse store opened. In 1988, the first Wal-Mart Supercenter opened which featured a Wal-Mart store with a full-scale supermarket inside.
In 2011, the company said it will no longer pay new workers an extra $1 per hour for working on Sunday. Current employees were not affected.
When you become a Walmart associate, you can take advantage of a variety of great benefits for you and your family, including:
Health & Wellness Benefits
- Consumer-directed health plans including Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) plans and a High-deductible plan with an Health Savings Account (HSA). Plans include:
- No lifetime maximum
- 100% coverage for eligible preventive care when you use a network provider
- Coverage for dependents up to age 26
- No pre-existing condition limits for anyone under age 19
- 80% coverage for eligible network services after you meet your total annual deductible
- $4 co-pay on more than 2,000 eligible generic drugs
- Ask Mayo Clinic Nurse Line - speak to a registered nurse 24/7
- Life with Baby Maternity Program - your own personal support network before, during and after pregnancy
- Quit Tobacco program
- Dental Insurance
- Resources For Living -- confidential counseling and health information service free to all associates 24/7
- Company-paid life insurance
- Optional and dependent life insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD&D)
- Critical illness and accident insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Illness protection (sick time)
- Associate Eyewear Program
- Matching contributions to your 401(k) up to 6%
- Associate Stock Purchase Plan with a company match of 15% up to the first $1,800 purchased each Plan year
- Associate Discount Card for Walmart associates, spouses and dependents for 10% discount on regular priced general merchandise and fresh produce purchased at a Walmart store.
- Sam’s Club memberships for Sam’s Club associates
- Discounts travel, entertainment and more
- Retirement account rollover
- Military differential pay
- Paid time-off including: holidays, vacation, personal, bereavement and jury duty
Updated June 5, 2016