Headquarters: 140 West St.
New York, NY 10036
CEO: Lowell McAdam
Stock Symbol: VZ
Verizon is the nation's largest telecommunications company. It provides local and long distance service. high-speed Internet access and TV service primarily in the mid-Atlantic and northeastern U.S.
Verizon offers wired phone service, fiber-optic and DSL broadband Internet access. The company operates over 1,700 retail stores.
The company acquired AOL in June 2015 for $4.4 billion. AOL owns websites including the Huffington Post, Moviefone, TechCrunch and Mapquest.
Verizon is expanding delivery of FIOS high-speed fiber optic lines to cities in its service area which offers superfast connections to the Internet along with TV service. The company said it had over 7.0 million FiOS Internet customers at the end of 2015 and 5.8 million FIOS TV customers.
For 2015, Verizon reported total revenues of $131.6 billion, an increase of 3.6%. Net income was $18.3 billion.
Total revenues at Verizon Wireless were $91.7 billion, up 4.6 percent over 2014. Average revenue per account at Verizon Wireless was $158.82 per month, up 3.9% for the year. The company had 112.1 million retail connections at the end of 2015, an increase of 4.5 million for the year. Smartphones accounted for 73 million of Verizon's customer base.
36 percent of Verizon's employees are minorities and 38% are represented by unions.
Verizon also bought ad technology firm Millennial Media for $250 million in 2015.
Verizon was formed by the merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE in July 1998. The Verizon name comes from veritas, the Latin word connoting certainty and reliability, and horizon, signifying forward-looking and visionary.
In 2005, Verizon acquired MCI, formerly known as Worldcom.
The company spun off Verizon Directories in 2006, the second-largest publisher of phone directories in the nation. This includes the SuperPages.com directory and now trades independently on the NYSE as Idearc Inc.
Verizon acquired Terremark in 2011, a provider of IT services, for $1.4 billion.
Verizon Wireless began selling the iPad tablet from Apple in 2010 and the iPhone in February 2011.
Verizon agreed in 2013 to buy the 45% stake in Verizon Wireless owned by Vodafone for $130 billion in cash and stock. It became the sole owner of Verizon Wireless in 2014.
Health and Well-Being
- Competitive salaries
- Incentives based on individual and company performance, including commissions for our Sales team
- 401(k) savings plan with excellent company matching contributions
- Corporate discounts for attractions and key vendors (travel, technology and gifts)
- Health and dependent care spending accounts, including a 10% discount on childcare at more than 2,000 centers nationwide
- Life and AD&D insurance for employees and family members
- Commuter spending accounts
- Emergency Military leave, which provides the difference between an employee's base pay and the military base pay for up to 36 months of active duty.
Time Off / Vacation
- Medical, including prescription drug and vision care
- Long-term care insurance
- Over 30 locations with fitness centers, plus discounts to other gyms
- Paid vacation
- Personal days
- Discounts to Verizon products and services
Education and Training
- Employee assistance
- Home and auto insurance discounts
- A 10% discount on child care at more than 2,000 centers nationwide.
- Adoption expense reimbursement up to $10,000 for each child adopted.
- Tuition assistance
- Online development tools
- Training curriculums