Sullivan and Cromwell
125 Broad St.
New York, NY 10004
Chairman: Rodgin Cohen
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP advises on
major domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, finance
and corporate transactions, significant litigation and corporate
investigations, and complex regulatory, tax and estate planning
The firm has 12 offices located in New
York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Palo Alto, Melbourne, Hong
Kong, London, Beijing, Frankfurt, Sydney, Paris and Tokyo.
Sullivan and Cromwell has approximately 700 lawyers from 38 countries including 170 partners.
Salaries for new associates:
First-Year Base Salary..... $160,000
Second-Year Base Salary..... $170,000
Sullivan & Cromwell was founded by
Algernon Sydney Sullivan and William Nelson Cromwell in 1879.
From its earliest involvement in the formation of Edison General
Electric Company in 1882 and United States Steel Corporation
in 1901 to its present work with leaders of the global economy
in the 21st century, the Firm has been closely involved in the
affairs of some of America's greatest industrial, commercial
and financial enterprises.
Below are benefits for attorneys.
Insurance and Related Benefits
The insurance and related benefits described
here pertain to lawyers in our U.S. offices.
- The Health Plan for lawyers begins on the first day of employment
and covers eligible dependents (spouse, same-sex domestic partner
and children). The Firm offers three health plan options including
one that is non-contributory. Benefits include a prescription
- The Dental Plan begins on the first day of employment. Coverage
includes eligible dependents (spouse, same-sex domestic partner
and children). Dental benefits in the Plan include preventive,
diagnostic and orthodontia.
Health Care Reimbursement Plan
- Lawyers may elect to set aside pre-tax up to $5,000 per year
and receive reimbursement for health and dental-related expenses
that are not covered by their plan(s).
Group Life Insurance
- The Firm provides without cost to lawyers a basic life insurance
policy of two times annual base salary with no evidence of insurability.
The lawyer may purchase additional or supplemental life insurance
coverage of up to three times annual base salary and dependent
Business Travel Insurance
- The Firm provides without cost to lawyers insurance in the
event of death, dismemberment, or permanent and total disability
resulting from an accident while traveling on firm business.
Coverage includes medical evacuation and/or repatriation. The
amount of insurance is equal to five times annual base salary,
up to a maximum of $1 million. The air travel portion of the
insurance remains in force for non-business travel as a passenger
on a commercial carrier.
Personal Accident Insurance
- The Firm allows lawyers to purchase additional personal accident
insurance up to $1 million. Coverage for the spouse, same-sex
domestic partner and eligible dependent children are subject
Long-Term Disability Insurance
- The Firm provides without cost to lawyers long-term disability
insurance which provides benefits equal to 50% of base monthly
earnings, subject to a maximum limit.
Voluntary Supplemental Long-Term Disability Program
- The Firm also provides, on a voluntary basis, a supplemental
long-term disability program to U.S. lawyers which is portable
and guaranteed renewable.
Associates' Savings Plan
- U.S. lawyers are eligible to participate in the 401K Plan.
Transportation Fringe Benefits
- Lawyers who are eligible to participate in the firm's Transportation
Fringe Benefit Program may set aside on a pre-tax basis up to
$105 a month for TransitCheks (N.Y.) or MetroCheks (D.C.) and
$200 a month for work-related parking reimbursements.
- Mortgage Assistance
- Downpayment Assistance
- Broker's Fees and Closing Costs for new associates
- Moving Expenses for new associates
- A twelve-week maternity leave (which includes 4 weeks for childcare)
is granted to women lawyers and lawyers who adopt if they are
the primary care giver.
Child Care Leave
- A four-week child care leave is granted to lawyers for the
birth or adoption of a child.
Child Care Referral Service
- For assistance in selecting child care, associates may call
upon a free referral service administered by Child Care, Inc.
Backup Child Care Center
- The Firm participates in a backup child care center that is
operated by Bright Horizons at the 125 Broad Street
office. The center is available to handle emergency child care,
such as when a child's regular caregiver is ill or otherwise
Adoption Assistance Plan
- Lawyers who have completed one year of service may be eligible
for the Adoption Assistance Plan, which provides up to $5,000
of reimbursed expenses related to the adoption of a child.
- Flex-Time Policy
- Fitness Center
- The Firm has its own fitness center at the 125 Broad Street
New York office. Other offices offer corporate discounts at local
- Four Weeks of Vacation
- Bar Review Course
- Attorney Registration Fee and Bar Association Dues
- Matching Law School Gifts
- Secretarial Services
- Judicial Clerkships
- On-site Cafeteria (in the New York and London offices)