Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
Headquarters: 425 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10017
Chairman: William Dougherty
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, Houston, Washington, D.C., Beijing, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Seoul, London, and Tokyo.
Established in 1884, the firm currently has more than 850 lawyers.
On a world-wide basis, the firm provides coordinated legal advice on the largest and most complex corporate transactions and litigation matters in industries which include financial services, insurance, power and natural resources, consumer products, services, technology, telecommunications, media, pharmaceuticals and healthcare industries. Cross-border finance, banking and bank regulation, mergers and acquisitions, securities issuance and regulation, project and asset based finance, real estate, asset management, joint ventures, taxation, litigation and dispute resolution are important aspects of the Firm’s practice.
The Simpson Thacher law firm was founded in 1884. At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20 centuries, the Firm was active in railroad reorganizations, the creation of mining and natural resource companies and the national expansion of the public utility system.
After World War I Simpson Thacher's practice expanded internationally. By the 1920's, the Firm represented clients in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe and South America.
Simpson Thacher's extensive banking practice developed in the 1950's, with the representation of Manufacturers Hanover Trust Company. Today, the Firm has an unparalleled banking practice representing, among other banks, JP Morgan Chase, the successor to Manufacturers Hanover, Chemical Bank, Chase Manhattan and JP Morgan, each of which was a major money center bank in its own right.
First year associates presently earn a salary of $160,000. In recent years, all associates in good standing have also received a bonus at year end. The Firm will advance new associates up to $9,000 of their annual salary to get settled in to their job.
* Four weeks paid vacation
* Subsidized health and dental insurance for associates, their spouses, same-sex domestic partners and children
* Life and disability insurance
* 401(k) plan participation
* Health care pre-tax spending accounts
* 18 weeks paid (and 6 weeks unpaid) primary caregiver leave
* 4 weeks paid (and 12 weeks unpaid) secondary caregiver leave
* Off-site emergency childcare (two free visits, with additional visits available for a nominal fee); temporary in-home child and eldercare services on an emergency basis
* A variety of flexible working arrangements
* Reimbursement for incoming associates for relocation costs (including broker fees)
* Reimbursement for bar review, bar application fees, ongoing bar dues and two bar society memberships
* Free private banking at Citibank or JPMorgan Chase
* Blackberry device with remote-access security token
* Subsidized on-site cafeteria
* Subsidized health club membership
* Pre-tax Commuter Benefits for mass transit and parking expenses
* Matching donations to law schools
* Budget for client development (for senior associates, or with partner approval)
* Social events, including “happy hours,” coffee hours, and monthly firm dinners