NY Police Department
Headquarters: One Police Plaza
New York, NY 10038
Main Switchboard: (646) 610-5000
Commissioner: Raymond Kelly
NYPD News - NYPD Precincts - NYPD Most Wanted
The New York Police Department is the largest police force in the country with 35,000 officers. The NYC Transit Police and Housing Police are also part of the NYPD.
The NYPD serves the five boroughs of New York City and has a broad array of services, including tactical operations, K-9, harbor patrol, air support, bomb disposal, counter-terrorism, intelligence, anti-gang, narcotics, public transportation, and public housing.
There are 76 police precincts, nine Police Service Areas serving City housing developments and 12 transit districts covering the five boroughs of New York City.
The starting salary for a patrol officer at the academy is $44,744 including holiday pay, uniform pay and night differential.
The base pay will increase every year to $76,488 after 5.5 years. When adding holiday pay, uniform allowance, average night differential, and longevity pay; a Police Officer with 5.5 years will earn $90,829 before overtime.
In the NYPD, one day is divided into three 8-hour and 35-minute shifts: 11:15 PM to 7:50 AM (called a 12 to 8), 7:05 AM to 3:40 PM (called an 8 to 4) and 3:00 PM to 11:35 PM (called a 4 to 12). Officers work 5 of these shifts per week.
In addition to police officers, the department employs more than 17,000 civilians from support staff to attorneys, psychologists and traffic enforcement agents.
The NYPD was established in 1844.
Raymond Kelly has served as Commissioner since 2002.
Requirements to Take the Written Examination
* Applicants must be at least 17 1/2 years of age by the last day of filing of the exam they are applying for.
* Applicants must not have reached their 35th birthday on or before the first day of filing of the exam they are applying for.
* Those applicants who are 35 and over and have active United States military service may deduct up to six years from the age requirement.
* If by mail: Applications must be submitted/postmarked by the filing deadline of the exam they are applying for.
Requirements to Be Hired:
* Candidates must be at least 21 years of age on or before the day of hire.
* Candidates must be a United States citizen on or before the day of hire.
* On or before the day of hire, candidates must have successfully completed either:
1. Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university, or
2. Two (2) years of full-time, active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school's diploma or its equivalent.
* Candidates must reside either within one of the five boroughs of New York City or one of the surrounding counties of New York City; Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Rockland, Nassau or Putnam Counties on the day of hire.
* Candidates must possess a valid, unrestricted New York State Drivers License on the day of hire.
* Candidates must pay a $75.00 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation process.
* Candidates must pass a drug/alcohol screening.
* Candidates must pass a character and background investigation.
The following factors are some of those which would be cause for disqualification:
* Any conviction of an offense which is punishable by one or more years imprisonment (felony).
* Any repeated convictions of an offense which indicate a disrespect for the law, a lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence and disorder.
* Discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior and/or an inability adjusting to discipline.
* A Dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
* Persons convicted of a petit larceny.
* Persons convicted of any domestic violence offense.
* Candidates must pass all medical, physical, written psychological and oral psychological examinations.
* 10 Paid vacation days during first & second year
* 13 Paid vacation days during third, fourth & fifth year
* 27 Paid vacation days after 5 years of service
* Unlimited sick leave with full pay
* A choice of paid medical programs
* Prescription, dental, and eyeglass coverage
* Annuity fund
* Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.
* Optional retirement at one half salary after 20 years of service
* Annual $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund (upon retirement)
* Annual banking of $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund after 20 years of service (if not retiring)
* Excellent promotional opportunities
* Educational opportunities
* Additional benefits are available to military personnel.