Entergy owns, manages or invests in power plants generating more than 30,000 megawatts of electricity. Entergy is the second largest U.S. nuclear generator, and delivers electricity to 2.75 million customers in portions of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
Entergy serves about one million Louisiana customers through the operating companies Entergy Louisiana and Entergy Gulf States, which together form the largest electricity provider in the state.
Entergy supplies natural gas to approximately 191,000 customers in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Entergy operates a system composed of more than 15,500 miles of high-voltage transmission lines and 1,550 transmission substations.
In 2011, Entergy had $11.2 billion in revenues and net income of $1.34 billion.
The Entergy Corporation was formed in 1989 when Middle South Utilities, Inc. changes its name.
The Entergy Corporation story begins with a pile of sawdust and a handshake. The sawdust belonged to H. H. Foster, president of the Arkansas Land and Lumber Company. The handshake was between Foster and Harvey Couch, president of Arkansas Power Company.
Harvey Couch was an entrepreneur who lived in Arkansas at the turn of the 20th century. He invested his money in a number of business ventures - a phone company, a radio station, railroad, and his biggest success, an electric power company. On Dec. 2, 1913, with a $500,000 line of credit and a franchise to provide electricity to the Arkansas towns of Malvern and Arkadelphia, Couch shook hands with H. H. Foster for his sawdust. Couch would use sawdust from Foster's lumber company as fuel to generate electricity for his power company. It was a new beginning for Harvey Couch and electric service in the state.
Couch's ultimate goal was to have an integrated electric system with numerous sources of power and a reasonable price. Service reliability was foremost on his mind. He knew if he could provide a reliable product at a good price he would be successful. With the fuel source secured, Couch began work on electrifying the state.
On Dec.17, 1914 the towns of Malvern and Arkadelphia were lit up as the generators at the lumber company were turned on for the first time. Now called the Arkansas Light and Power Company, Arkansas' newest endeavor to bring the benefits of electricity to the rural south had begun with a two 550 kilowatt generators and 22 miles of transmission line.
Couch's company grew rapidly. Ten years later he completed construction of the Remmel hydro electric dam on the Ouachita river. His transmission system now covered 300 miles. With a 9,000 kilowatt generator in place, Couch set his sights beyond the state's boundaries.
Couch began acquiring independent electric properties beyond the Arkansas' borders in Jackson, Vicksburg, Columbus, and Greenville Mississippi. His plan was to develop an interconnected system much like the one in Arkansas, but between states. On April 12, 1923 the Mississippi Power and Light Company was incorporated in Mississippi. The fuel and electricity for this new company would come from Louisiana.
The Louisiana Power Company was formed so Couch could take full advantage of the abundant supply of natural gas found in northern Louisiana. In November 1925 Couch's Sterlington generating station was placed on line. It was the largest power plant south of St. Louis and its 30,000 kilowatt capacity was owned by three companies: Arkansas Light and Power, Mississippi Power and Light, and Louisiana Power Company.
Health & Welfare Benefits:
Updated May 21, 2012