Davis, Polk and Wardwell
Headquarters: 450 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Managing Partner: Thomas Reid
Davis Polk ranks among the world's preeminent law firms across the entire range of its practice, which spans such areas as capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, credit, litigation, private equity, tax, financial regulation, investment management, insolvency and restructuring, executive compensation, intellectual property, real estate and trusts and estates.
Davis Polk (including its associated entities) has more than 800 lawyers in offices in New York, Menlo Park, CA, Washington DC, São Paulo, London, Paris, Madrid, Hong Kong, Beijing and Tokyo.
The firm has consistently been ranked tier 1 in the United States for trial work, regulatory enforcement, white collar crime and internal investigations.
The New York office is home to more than 75 percent of the firm's lawyers and handles a significant portion of the work done for clients in the United States and around the world.
New York-based corporate lawyers work on the full spectrum of domestic and international transactions, often as part of an integrated team with colleagues from other U.S. and overseas offices. The Litigation, Tax and Trusts and Estates Departments are based predominantly in New York, but there are also litigators in Menlo Park and tax lawyers in both Menlo Park and London.
The firm was originally founded in 1849. It has promoted 64 lawyers to partner in the last 10 years.
Incoming associate benefits include:
* relocation expenses, including the cost of moving and up to three months of storage and a broker's fee of up to $2,500 within six months of arrival at the firm
* a salary advance of up to $7,500 within three months of one's arrival to the firm
* bar review tuition and fees for bar examination and admission
* class credit is given in the salary scale for up to two years of clerkship at a U.S. federal or state court or Canadian court, and upon arrival at the firm, eligible clerks receive a bonus of $50,000 for a one-year clerkship and $70,000 for a two-year clerkship or two one-year clerkships.
Associate benefits include:
* four weeks of vacation (increasing to five weeks after five years of practice)
* life, business travel accident and disability insurance; 401(k) plan; and commuting benefits
* health, dental and vision benefits, and flexible medical and dependent care spending accounts
* subsidized gym membership
* tuition for mandatory continuing legal education
* private banking privileges
* down payment loan assistance program of up to $40,000 repayable over five years
* matching contributions to law schools
* health, dental and vision benefits for samesex or oppositesex domestic partners
* maternity leaveeight weeks paid leave (plus four weeks of parental leave)
* parental leavefour weeks paid leave (birth parents and non-birth parents are entitled to this leave)
* primary caregiver leavesix weeks paid leave (following the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child)
* part-time and flextime work arrangements
* emergency childcare facilities (located next door to our office)
* emergency home care referral for child care and elder care