Cravath, Swaine & Moore
825 Eighth Ave.
New York, NY 10019
Chairman: Evan Chesler
Cravath, Swaine and Moore is a New York law firm specializing in four departments -- Corporate, Litigation, Tax, Executive Compensation and Benefits (9 lawyers) and Trusts and Estates.
The firm has just two offices in New York City and London. Headquarters are in the Worldwide Plaza Building in New York.
Cravath's history dates back to 1819 and
its permanent name was made in 1944.
The company recently represented Heinz Corp. in its $60 billion merger with Kraft Foods and Shell Corp. in its $70 billion acquisition of BG Group.
Compensation at the firm is based on seniority, not billable hours. There is no billable hour requirement at the firm.
Incoming associates who have worked a clerkship will receive a bonus of $50,000 and two-year clerkships will receive $70,000 bonus. 96 new associates joined the firm in Fall of 2014.
Cravath offers a comprehensive and flexible
employee benefits package for associates that includes the following:
- Four weeks of vacation each year
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Business travel and accident insurance
- Short- and long-term disability benefits
- Childcare leave for men and women, consisting of four weeks
- Paid maternity leave of not less than 12 weeks during the period
that the associate is medically disabled, both before and after
the birth of a child (which, combined with four-week paid childcare
leave, results in a minimum aggregate paid leave of 16 weeks
for a woman upon the birth of a child)
- Eligible to make 401(k) contributions with pre-tax dollars
and voluntary contributions with after-tax dollars
- Medical and dependent care expense reimbursement plans
- Mass transit debit card program
- Parking reimbursement program
- Employee assistance program
- Matching contributions to law schools
- Annual Bar Association membership dues and biennial registration
- On-site emergency child care
- On-site cafeteria
- Bank-at-work program, on-site ATM and cashier
- Subsidized corporate membership at participating health clubs
- A generous relocation package covering reasonable transportation,
moving expenses and storage, an apartment hunting trip, and a
rental agent's fee or closing costs up to $3,500
- Bar review courses, Bar Examination fees, and travel expenses
to Albany to take the Bar Examination
- An interest free loan of up to $7,500