California Job Source
Add Your Resume
Leading maker of golf equipment.
2180 Rutherford Rd.
Carlsbad, CA 92008
CEO: Chip Brewer
Stock Symbol: ELY
Callaway Golf is a leading manufacturer of golf equipment. The company sells golf clubs and golf balls, golf apparel, footwear and accessories under the Callaway Golf and Odyssey brands in more than 110 countries worldwide.
The company has struggled over the past couple of years due to the economic downturn and less interest in the sport of golf.
Callaway sold the Top-Flite brand including balls, clubs and accessories to Dick's Sporting Goods for $20 million in 2012. The company also sold its Ben Hogan brand to Perry Ellis International.
In 2011, the company reported sales of $887 million, down from $968 million the previous year. Callaway had a net loss of $172 million.
The company announced plans to cut 12% of its workforce this year.
In 1981, Ely Callaway sold his wine company Callaway Vineyard and Winery for $14 million.
In 1982, Callaway bought a 50% stake in Hickory Stick USA, a maker of golf clubs, for $400,000. By 1983, Callaway renamed the company to Callaway Hickory Stick USA and delivered clubs personally from the trunk of his Cadillac.
In 1988, the company became known as Callaway Golf Company.
Callaway introduced a stainless steel club in 1989 known as S2H2 and also the Big Bertha driver.
Callaway would go public on the NY Stock Exchange in 1992.
Ely Callaway died in 2001.
- 80% Company paid comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance for employees
- 75% Company paid comprehensive medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance for dependents
- Company paid life and AD&D insurance
- Company paid Business Travel Accident insurance
- Voluntary (employee paid) supplemental life and AD&D insurance for employee, spouse, and children
- Company paid short term disability
- Company paid long term disability
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth employee contributions
- 401(k) Catch Up contributions for employees age 50 and over
- 401(k) Company Match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (health care, dependent care)
- Group legal plan, including estate planning services
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development programs
- Concierge services including dry cleaning pick up/drop off and postal center
- Substantial product discounts on golf clubs, golf balls, logo clothing and other items
- Annual Employee Expo health fair
- Subsidized transportation
- Adoption assistance
- Full-service cafeteria
- Discount tickets to Southern California attractions
- Free parking
- Bloodmobile visits
- Educational scholarships
- Corporate matching charitable giving program
- Employee celebrations and events throughout the year
Updated July 21, 2012