1 Riverside Plaza
American Electric Power is one of the nation's largest electric utilities and provides electricity in an 11-state service area, which includes parts of Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
AEP has more than 5.3 million customers, 40,000 miles of transmission lines and has a service territory of 200,000 square miles. It generates 38,000 megawatts of electricity.
AEP's transmission system directly or indirectly serves about 10 percent of the electricity demand in the Eastern Interconnection, the interconnected transmission system that covers 38 eastern and central U.S. states and eastern Canada, and approximately 11 percent of the electricity demand in ERCOT, the transmission system that covers much of Texas. AEP's utility units operate as AEP Ohio, AEP Texas, Appalachian Power (in Virginia, West Virginia), AEP Appalachian Power (in Tennessee), Indiana Michigan Power, Kentucky Power, Public Service Company of Oklahoma, and Southwestern Electric Power Company (in Arkansas, Louisiana and east Texas). AEP's headquarters are in Columbus, OH.
In 2012, the company reported $14.9 billion in revenues and net income of $1.49 billion.
In its earliest years, AEP then known as American Gas and Electric Company (AG&E) - was an assortment of small, struggling utilities scattered across a number of states, stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to Illinois.
American Gas and Electric was incorporated in the state of New York on December 20, 1906, and acquired its first utility properties on January 2, 1907. These original properties provided electric service, gas, water, steam, transit, or even ice service in communities in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Over the years, many of these properties were sold. In fact, only five of the communities originally served by AG&E in 1907 Marion and Muncie, IN; Canton and Bridgeport, OH; and Wheeling, WV are still part of the AEP System.
AEP's interconnected power system got its start in 1911, when power plants in Marion and Muncie were connected by a 33,000 volt line across some 30 miles of Indiana farmland so they could support each other and improve reliability.
American Gas & Electric would change its name to American Electric Power in 1958.
On December 22, 1997, AEP announced a definitive merger with Central and South West Corp. of Dallas, TX.
AEP benefits include:
Updated June 9, 2013